Sunday, April 6, 2008

Timberwolves 5K Run

On Saturday morning Jerad, Amanda, and I did the Timberwolves FastBreak Foundation 5K run around Lake Harriet. Although slightly chilly early in the morning, it was a very nice April day for a run.










They started off with a kids 1/2 mile run and Oh how cute that was. There were maybe 20 kids ranging in age 13 down to just barely able to walk. It was so cute to see this little girl maybe 2 years old running about as fast as her little legs would go, which was like a fast waddle, and once she passed the finish line she just kept going. It was precious.

I am not normally a runner but do occasionally run for part of a workout. The last couple of weeks I have been running about 3 miles at a 6 mph pace, which is a 10 minute mile. I figure if I can finish the race in around 30-32 minutes that would be great. Knowing that it was only a little over 3 miles, I knew that on race day the ambiance would also help push me to run strong, but I had no idea how well I would do.

I ended up taking 3rd place in the women's category and finished in 25min 51 sec.! The 1st place woman finished at 25:24, so I was not far behind.


I sure surprised the heck out of myself and Jon (who was our camera man for the day). He was on the phone as I came up to the finish line and had to quick whip out the camera to take a picture. I had told him I was guessing it would be about 30 min, so when I came in 4 minutes early he was not expecting me. He was able to get a good pic.

Jerad and Amanda also finished quicker than they thought they would coming in at 29:00 even. Overall there were about 130 people who ran the race, about 75 men and 55 women.

No comments: