Monday, March 29, 2010

Brad's Procedure

Brad had gotten this nagging fever a few weeks ago that turned out to be a urinary tract infection, which is pretty rare for little boys. So our doctor recommended he have this procedure done to make sure that everything was in good working order.
I am so proud of my little man, he was a big trooper through the whole thing. I expected him to be fussy and crying the whole time, especially since by the time we got back into the room it was about bottle time again. I think all the machines and different environment gave him quite a bit to look at.

For the procedure, they had to put in a catheter, released everything in his bladder, and then took an Xray. After that they started filling his bladder back up with this liquid and randomly took more Xrays as they were doing this. They were trying to see that if when his bladder is full if some of the liquid was going back up the ureters to the kidneys, which can lead to and cause infections.
Turns out that our little man has stage 2 "bladder reflux". This is my term for it as the actual medical term I can not pronounce. He is at a stage 2 out of 5 so on the lower end of the scale, so they are not really worried about it. I guess this is something that is pretty common in kids, but most go undetected as they can grow out of this reflux. So for Mr. Bradley man they have him on a daily antibiotic for the next year as with this reflux he is more susceptible to infections. We will have another scan done in 6 months to see how he is progressing.
BTW - He loves his daily antibiotic as it tastes like grape! What infant doesn't like something sweet!

No comments: